Friday, February 10, 2012

Does anyone benefited by using mirror?


Hello to all
Myself Umesh here, Again I want to share something which I do and which seems benefited to me. In one of stammering book, I read that watching yourself while talking is really helps you to gain control on your speech and speech muscles .It is also know that if we practice in front of mirror then it develops our talking and presentation skills . So I start using mirror while I talking on the phone . In starting, it is not easy going. When I look at my face and gets blocks, it looks weird .So it is horrible experience for me. I can’t see myself when I was talking. I think that if I can’t see myself face during talking then how others will tolerate me when I stammered in front of them. But I was stick to my rules and continue with it. After some months, it becomes quite comfortable for me. And if I am in my room and have to call anywhere, I pick up my mirror first. Now it seems that if I talk without mirror then my speech will not be so much controllable and I cant see my weird facial expressions. It give me more control when I get blocks. I can go back and start the sentence again with a relax way. I can see where is wrong on my speech apparatus. Is I m going some fast? then slow down itself. Does anyone here also use mirror technique and got benefited? All questions and comments are welcomed.

5 comments:

kumar kundan said...
Dear bro, i also have experience about looking to mirror while talking. I think is quite necessary towards stuttering modification,as it helps by making us aware about the distortions developed over the face. Consequently,it become easy to modify that habit.
sachin said...
Yes, I did about 3-4 years back and it was first honest feedback to myself. It made me realize that my eyebrows went up and down during a block. Once I realized this, changing that behavior was not difficult, over next few months. Later, I replaced mirror with a simple video camera on a stand..and played it back many times.. And all this did not cost me any money! Thanks for sharing..
Vaibhav Talegoankar said...
Dear Umesh Thanks for sharing.I will try and let you know my experiences.
Harish Usgaonker said...
I have also tried speaking in front of the mirror, even recently after the workshop, during one of our SHG meetings. It really helped me discover my secondary symptoms and the kind of gestures I made when I was trapped in a block. As you said, I also found it very difficult to talk on phone while looking at the mirror and it increased my stammering...
Ena said...
Hi Umesh, I have used mirror several times especially to practice my lessons ( i am a teacher. It helped me to see my expressions and also to control my speed of talking. Dr. Sachin's idea of a video camera is also great. It is helpful if you can hear yourself and correct your tone, pitch. Mugdha Benjamin

No comments:

Post a Comment